Sunday, December 22, 2013

Writing a Successful Blog. Can I Really Do This?



Well, it's 2:30 AM, and I can't sleep. All I can think is, "Can I do this? Will I ever be successful? Am I talented enough? Do I have enough good ideas?", and well... you get the picture.

I've been wanting to start a blog for a long time time now. I've often found myself going to Pinterest, finding myself on a blog where I'm learning something new, or talking about something I'm interested in. I love crafts. I love making jewelry. I love sewing. I love cooking, and I love creating print materials. So, why wouldn't I be good at doing it too? Well, to be honest, I got scared away from creating my blog on numerous occasions. 

As a newbie to the blogging world, I started looking at other blogs to get an idea of what I liked about theirs, and how I would incorporate my favorite things onto mine - which was fun, but I got really discouraged. A lot of the blogs I really liked showcased their crafting area, they had gorgeous places to take pictures, and even had a nice camera to take photos of their projects with. I don't have any of that. My crafting area is super small; in fact, I don't really have a crafting area. I do all my crafting at the family computer desk, on my living room floor, and sometimes, when no one else is home, on my tiny kitchen table. I don't have an area in my apartment with good lighting for pictures, and I don't have a fancy smancy camera. The only thing that kept going through my head with every new blog I looked at was, "I can't do this".

Well, you know what? I had this epiphany about a week ago when I started this blog. I realized that I only can't because I'm not letting myself. I might not have the luxury of having those nice things that we all want, but I still have good ideas, and I can still share them with whomever will allow me to. I want to show everyone that even with a limited means, it can be done. If you have good content, are dedicated to your blog, and focus on what you're interested in, the rest will come. I won't be able to have a nice crafting area for a while, because of having to move so often. That's just the military life. As much as I want it, I just can't have it, and I'm going to have to make do with what I have. I can save up my money for that fancy smancy camera that I don't have, and I can take pictures to the best of my ability until then. As far as the bad lighting goes... I found myself a super awesome table lamp at Target. We'll see how much it helps during my next yummy goodness photoshoot coming to you all on Monday!

The moral of this story is there is no such thing as can't. If you want something, you have to make it happen through hard work no matter the circumstances.

Thanks for stopping by, and reading my little blurb about starting a blog. I hope, if you're new to blogging like myself, you were inspired. If you're a seasoned blogger - I would love for you to share you insight!

Please, post any questions, comments, or advice below!